Privacy and Cookies
At South West Water Limited ("We" or "SWW") we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 ("the Act"), the data controller is South West Water Limited, Company Number 2366665, of Peninsula House, Rydon Lane, Exeter, EX2 7HR, Data Protection Public Registration number Z4569683.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Company Secretary of South West Water Limited,
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information relating to the supply of water and ancillary services and products that you have enquired about or that we have provided to you;
- if you contact us or provide us with information, for example if you enter a competition or promotion;
- if you complete any surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
- details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to; traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access; and
- any opt in or opt out preferences that you have provided us with confirming whether you wish to receive information about offers and information that may be of interest to you.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us - whether on paper, verbally or electronically - is stored securely. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you.
- to carry out our statutory and regulatory functions and obligations;
- to keep you informed about our services, news, promotions and competitions;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to assist us with our customer and market research and statistical analysis;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our site, when you choose to do so; and
- to provide you with information about and appeals made by or on behalf of Water Aid (registered charity 288701), including the circulation of their annual charitable leaflet.
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you, and we or they may contact you about these by email.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of the Pennon Group, which means our ultimate holding company (Pennon Group Plc) and its subsidiaries, such disclosure shall exclude Viridor Limited or any subsidiary thereof. We may also disclose your personal information to our agents, partners, subcontractors and advisors.
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties in circumstances not referred to above:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if South West Water Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation (including as required by a court, government body or a regulator), or
- in order to enforce or apply our customer or website terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of South West Water Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
COOKIES AND IP ADDRESSES
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type. We may use that information for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns. It does not identify any individual.
We may obtain information about your general internet usage and your use of our site by means of a cookie. A cookie is a piece of text that is stored on your computer by your web browser. Cookies help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests;
- to speed up your searches; and
- to recognise you when you return to our site.
More detailed information on cookies can be found at www.allaboutcookies.org
South West Water and our third party partners may set the following types of cookies when you visit www.upstreamthinking.org (the "Website"):
The table below details all the cookies that the Website uses and the reason why:
|Session Cookies||CFID||24 years||These are default web application session cookie for session state management||Cookies necessary for the provision of service||http://www.allaboutcookies.org/cookies/session-cookies-used-for.html |
|Compliance Cookies||CookieLawCompliance||10 years||This cookie is placed if you click the Allow button||Helpful non-intrusive cookies|
|Google Analytics||_utma||24 months||Google tracking cookies||Helpful non-intrusive cookies||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|_utmc||At end of session|
You can find information on disabling cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org
The rules regarding the use of internet cookies have changed due to amendments made to the E- Privacy Directive (2002/58/EC). The UK government implemented these changes by amending the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (SI 2426/2003) (the regulations).
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (relating to you as an individual) for any particular purposes, apart from in relation to our agreements with Credit Reference Agencies and fraud prevention agencies. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by ticking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access personal information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any subject access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
CHANGES TO YOUR INFORMATION
If you notice that any personal information that we hold about you is incorrect or not up to date, please let us know via the 'Website feedback' category on our contact us form.
South West Water
Devon, EX2 7HR